The Consumers Gas Company Station A on the northeast corner of Front and Parliament Streets was built in 1898-1899. It was originally a facility for purifying water gas. The chimneys and louvres in the roof were designed to mitigate the risks from gas leaks.
Consumers Gas moved out in the 1950s, when they shifted to selling natural gas. Thereafter, the building was used for a variety of purposes. At the time this photo was taken in July, 1975, it was home to a real estate developer, a crane rental company, and a dealer of auto parts. In 2005 the building was renovated and became the headquarters of the Toronto Police Service's 51 Division.
Photo by Ellis Wiley. Fonds 124, File 3, Item 37.
#FrontStreet #ParliamentStreet #TPS51Div #TorontoArchitecture #TOHistory #TorontoArchives