On June 27, 1853, the Sacramento Company No. 3 acquired a firehouse on the west side of Second Street between K and L Streets. The company was originally organized on March 27, 1851 but it took over 2 years for the city’s Common Council and Fire Department to establish a building for the volunteer firefighters. They were nicknamed “The Tigers” and their motto was “First in danger and always ready.”
In 1859, the company had 65 members. In 1872, a paid fire department was established in Sacramento and the volunteer departments were superseded. The new Engine Company No. 1 was organized in this firehouse and the building continued to serve as a firehouse until the early 1920s. The structure later served as a warehouse for the Finegold & Company wholesale business.
In 1959, the building was purchased by Newton Cope and in 1960 he opened a restaurant at the location. It became the first building to be restored in the Old Sacramento Historic District and is the home today for firehouseol...
Suggested Credits
Tags, Events, and Projects